Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fall Fest with my family

My family lived in Michigan until I was about 6. One thing I remember doing there was going to a cider mill every fall. I can still picture the big mill with the cider pouring out. It was the only time we ever got to eat caramel apples and I remember looking at all the different kinds. And there were donuts, which I'm fairly certain were the only donuts we ate all year.

My mom was trying to figure out a weekend where a bunch of us could go apple picking and visit a cider mill, but it wasn't working out with all the various schedules and she couldn't find a cider mill that was "Michigan" enough so she created her own back yard fall festival for us. The weather was gorgeous and we all had lots of fun.

We bobbed for apples, filled buckets with acorns to earn a pumpkin from Mamie's pumpkin patch, ate donuts, caramel apples, chocolate apples, chili, and cooked hotdogs, s'mores and scones over Papop's firepit. Of course we drank lots of cider too, which Silly really liked.

Cakes positioning the apples just right; she eventually got brave enough to bob for one

Bubbs decided it was more fun to take the apples out then toss them back in to make a big splash. He eventually soaked himself.

Silly had so much fun that he bobbed all the other apples out of the tub once everyone had a turn.
Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment