Saturday, January 14, 2012

Camo Kid

For quite some time now I've been meaning to get all of Silly's clothes washed at once so I can spread out all his various camouflage articles and take a picture of the assortment. The boy loves camo. He loves all things military, he's starting to be curious about hunting. He makes a distinction between "army camouflage" and "hunting camouflage." Don't ask me how he knows the difference but he does. For years now whenever we go to the library he wants to find "army books." Today I realized we've never found any hunting books at the library. Guess we'll have to fix that.


The assortment - not shown, his hunting camouflage jacket that's being repaired

For Christmas the one thing he consistently asked for was camouflage socks, which were rather hard to find, since socks don't really need to be camouflage. Santa delivered though.


At the time, he claimed that was the only article of clothing he did not have in camouflage. He also has a camouflage watch, toothbrush, flashlight, and Nerf gun bullets. Now he realizes he doesn't have camouflage sweatshirt either. Next quest, I guess.

He also told me over Christmas, after seeing all our hunting relatives come and go, "Mom I decided I don't want to be an army guy any more. I want to be a hunter, because then I don't have to get a job." I had to explain that it doesn't really work that way. He thinks that's all my brother does (because he sees him coming or going from hunting or fishing everytime we're visiting). I had to explain that he's in college right now and he can only hunt when school is out, then when he's done with school he'll have to get a real job and he can only hunt when he's not working. I don't think I convinced him. Scott was already feeling a little guilty that he has no interest in hunting, so maybe Silly would be missing out on something. If it's something he really wants to do someday, he has plenty of relatives who'd be willing to take him along.

In other news, Scott bought me this cooler backpack for Christmas. I wanted something I could use for day trips with the kids without bringing more than one bag. I used it for the first time today and it is great! It looks small, but it is actually pretty roomy. I had two big icepacks and twelve juiceboxes in the cooler; it didn't feel any heavier than anything else I carry around. There's plenty of room in the top for whatever our adventures will require - hats, jackets, sunscreen, bugspray, etc. Bubba is still in diapers, but I don't need to carry around a whole lotta gear for him anymore, just a couple diapers and some wipes. There are two little pockets for phone, wallet and camera (if you know me well, you know I like bags with lots of pockets). It's perfect!


Next post will be 100 so something really cool needs to happen soon...

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. Watch out when you take him in the woods; you just might not find him again. That cracks me up about how he swallowed his tooth, and then just kept eating. How old is he? He sounds like such a character. That is pretty funny that he is so into hunting and camo so young. Hey, he could be a government trapper when he grows up. There is one that comes over here every once in a while to see what has killed our livestock. He got to shoot a wolf out of a plane that was on our property killing calves. He traps animals, tags them, and tracks them, etc.

    So fun to see your family, Shauna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's almost 6, but he's been cracking us up since he could put two words together. I read your blog and he sounds a lot like E; they would totally be buddies if we lived anywhere near each other. :-)

    ReplyDelete