Friday, February 22, 2013

Buttons and Dots



Bubba likes to turn off the car and then push the button to close the garage whenever we get home. We don't have a garage door opener in the car; we use the programmable buttons above the dashboard. And so it was yesterday, we returned home from Joy School and Bubba asked to turn off the car and close the garage. He pushed the button and said, "I push the one-dot button. The two-dot button is for the green house." (By "green house" he means our old house.) I asked him what the three-dot button was for and he stops and thinks for a few seconds, then says, "I will tell you what the three-dot button is for when we move to another house." Ha! Ain't gonna happen, little dude.

Then, last night, I'm driving Cakes to swim team practice and I tell her that little story. The conversation:
C - What voice did he use when he said that?
Me - Just his regular Bubba voice, not his whiny voice, silly voice or mumble voice.
C - I'm trying to imagine the way he said it.
M - It's my fault Bubba mumbles, and it's Papop's fault that I mumble. He used to say to me sometimes, "Shauna, you're mumbling" and I would say, "Yeah, where do you think I got it from, Dad?" or "Whose fault is that?" But there are worse things to inherit from your parents.
C - Like what?
M - Well, I could have had ugly parents, and inherited that!
C - Oh yeah, that definitely happened to somebody on my bus.
She goes on the describe a rather odd looking woman, but somewhere in the midst of that description she throws in, "Mamie is definitely prettier than that lady" (I guess confirming that I did not inherit any ugliness from my mom?) and later, after she talked about the woman's clothes, "Oh, and even better, Mamie wears clothes that are appropriate for her age."

I'm retelling all of this to Scott as we're getting into bed for the night. He stopped me when I got to the part about mumbling and said, "Wait - you're admitting that you mumble? But you get mad at me every time I say I can't understand you." I ignored that comment. But he thought what Bubba and Cakes said was hilarious, and he asked me what I'm doing to our kids to make them come up with such things...

No comments:

Post a Comment