Friday, September 17, 2010

Second Grade, Joy School and Preschool

School is off to a pretty good start. Cakes gets on the bus a lot earlier than she did last year (usually before 7!) I haven't heard any complaints yet. We've got our little weekly schedule of reminders on the fridge. This year we added a breakfast menu so we don't waste so much time deciding every morning. Daddy even joins us some mornings.

Silly is in Joy School and Preschool. About a month ago I started thinking about Joy School again and realized I was still sad that it didn't work out for Silly last year. I harassed all of my preschool mom friends again and two of them joined me. He is really liking it so far and is excited to have it at our house next week. I'm so glad I get a chance to do this with him! On MWF he goes to "regular" preschool and loves that too. He's happy to have an excuse to use his lunch box. Today I sent him a note telling him that Grandmama and Grandaddy are coming this afternoon. He's such a happy kid.

Heading off to Joy School
Last Thursday they made gingerbread men in Joy School because they're learning about bodies. He told me all about his man. You'll notice his gingerbread man appears to have three eyes. Silly informed me the middle one is his brain. The other raisins on the arms and legs show where his hinges are.


Cakes has jumped right in to second grade. She says her teacher is mean, which is possibly true (Scott and I weren't very impressed at orientation). She had such super, sweet, love to teach, adore the children teachers for first grade and Kindergarten, so we figured she was up for a less-than-great one. I've just reminded her that as long as she's doing what she's supposed to be doing she has nothing to worry about; the teacher might yell, but she's not yelling at Cakes.

Cakes coming home from her first day of second grade
They have a new PE teacher this year. Cakes told me yesterday that they don't do anything fun in PE, just walk or run, you know, exercise, heaven forbid. That's about all I've heard for complaints. She sits right down and starts her homework out on the front porch then hops on her bike searching for a friend to play with her.

Cakes also had her first piano lesson this week. She really likes her teacher and is definitely motivated to earn lots of music money for practicing. I'll be picking her up from school every Wednesday to take her to her lesson. We have enough time so sit and let her eat a snack and talk for a few minutes then head over to her piano teacher's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment