Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pre-Christmas Festivities

We never spend Christmas Day itself at our own house, so several years ago we decided we needed to do some fun Christmas-y things around town so our kids have some Christmas memories associated with home and not just Richmond. Several things have become annual events: the Chesapeake parade, Christmas in the Country and the Triple R Ranch, Polar Express and lights at Norfolk Botanical Garden and making cookies.

Today we spent about 5 hours making cookies. Amazingly, Bubba was the best, longest lasting helper of the three kids. He knows how to work that mixer too. I convinced the kids we should try a couple new things so I didn't have to make sugar cookies because I hate rolling things out. We made candy cane cookies which involved three colors of cookie dough, twist any two together and shape it like a candy cane. Silly was working on twisting his together and asked, "Mom, is this fun?" Apparently he wasn't quite sure. Here's the end result:

They've each picked out a few friends and teachers they want to take cookies to, so we'll probably do that after church tomorrow.

Tonight we went to the Triple R Ranch. Bubbs and Silly were thrilled with the tractor-pulled hayride. Bubba kept saying he was going to drive the tractor, which I was a little afraid might turn into a meltdown, but he was perfectly happy with the ride. Cakes was the only one that would ride a horse, again. She also climbed the rock wall. She was rather impressive.

Silly saw this rock later and declared himself a rock climber too.


Somehow in the next ten seconds after that he lost his little angel he'd made. We couldn't find it anywhere; he went on and on about it being the most beautiful rainbow angel he'd ever had and now he'll never have another one. But then we went and ate and he hasn't mentioned it since.

On the way home I was telling Scott about these Star Wars snowflake patterns my sister found which led to him saying, "Should this be the year I get my Stormtrooper costume?" Cakes immediately said, "I think no year should be the year 'cuz I don't wanna be embarrassed. People would laugh at you like 'hahahahahahahahahaha' and then they'd be looking at us and that would be embarrassing." We were cracking up laughing and then she said, "It's true!" I told her I know it's true, that's why I'm laughing so hard.

And finally, in our very own neighborhood we saw the most hilarious Christmas light display ever. Really, when have Christmas lights ever made you laugh out loud? These ones will.'

That's for all my huntin' relatives. Scott said this guy made it himself. I just might have to see if he'll make one for my brother. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment