Saturday, October 26, 2013

Mamie's Fall Festival 2013

How many years have we been doing this fall festival now? 3? 4? I don't know, but the kids sure love it and look forward to it, and I'm pretty sure it isn't just because of the donuts they get to eat. Mamie had lots of activities planned this year; it's hard trying to make sure there is enough fun for everyone when the oldest grandchild just turned 18 then on down to the four 1 year olds. Mamie divided the kids into age groups and those of us without babies each took a group. I got to hang out with these two adorable and hilarious little people:


They had tickets and I gave them a little hole punch for every game they played; they had to have two hole punches before they could go to a treat station. The fished, bowled, tossed balls and beanbags, kicked some soccer goals, and tossed a shark. We never did make it to horseshoes because they stayed at the fishing game so long and then got sidetracked by the sand box.


Little L tossing the shark

C scoring a goal past his little sister
Making their turkeys
They did a pretty good job for little people
They made turkeys out of Oreos, candy corn, mini peanut butter cups and whoppers. Watching them try to eat a donut off a string was pretty entertaining. Note for next year - glazed donuts make a really big mess! People had glaze in their hair, ears, eyelashes, and of course, all over their faces. I'm sure Mamie is still finding places sticky hands touched in her house.


























The big boys working hard on their turkeys
C decided to use the dipper when they took their turn to bob for apples; seemed age appropriate to me. I think several apples ended up returned to the barrel with a missing bite or two, thanks to Little L


Meanwhile, my kids were with their own groups. Papop was in charge of the archery station, which I think everyone liked or at least tried, except for Bubba who wouldn't even enter the roped off area. He was content to watch. Silly liked it. Cakes had a hard time getting it figured out at first, but she was determined. Once she got it, she decided to opt for rapid fire and just shot one arrow after another with hardly a pause between until she ran out.

Getting some help from his "coach" as he called her for the day

Instructions from Papop

Success!
All the girls

Figuring it out

Finally got it!


Bubba tried really hard to keep his arms down

Couple of cute little people in the background


The girls eating their donuts were quite hilarious, and they took a long time, because unlike some of the littler kids, they didn't get any assistance.




After everyone finished their activities we had a fall birthday celebration, and there happen to be a lot of fall birthdays in this group. Someone (I forget who) was trying to tell me I should be in the fall group, not winter, but even though my birthday is technically still fall, I was born in December, in a blizzard, so I think I have adequate claim on winter. Plus there just aren't that many winter babies in this group. I guess Bubba is a winter, born in March, but still technically winter, and also in a snow storm. I digress. I give you (if this video actually works) the Ramsey family fall birthday song:


After that it started to get dark so it was time for fires and hotdogs, baked beans and smores, plus a super yummy paleo salad and roasted veggies. But mostly lots of hanging out and chatting with all these people I like a whole lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment