Friday, February 14, 2014

I love Valentine's Day!

So let's just pretend I haven't been MIA since October and jump right to today. You don't wanna read about what we did for Christmas and all that, besides, it's pretty much the same runaround every year, so just go back and read posts from previous Christmases, only picture us in Charlottesville on Christmas Eve. See, all caught up.

Last weekend we had our Winter Birthday Celebration with my family. In spite of a a few bumps throughout the day, we managed to have plenty of fun. We ate lots of chocolate and made lots of Valentines. We should totally make that a tradition, only next time I'll use my Cricut and get all my hearts cut out ahead of time so I don't drive Younger Sister crazy with the noise. ;-) Middle Sister printed out lots of fun stickers, like poetry magnets and some with pictures. We had fun finding ways to incorporate them. We made a whole box of Valentines for Oldest Sister, lone holdout on the west coast in my family, and whoever else we felt like making them for. I made these for my kids:



My kids got started on their school Valentines and finished them up at home. We repeated one of last year's Valentines for the kids to give out at school. They just liked them so much and who doesn't want a good excuse to use gel pens and bouncy balls? I use my Cricut and cut 3" hearts with a 1" hole in it, fits a bouncy ball just right. Cakes had fun experimenting with different gel pen effects.




Then I'd seen a cute idea to make rings out of a Rolo and sparkly pipe cleaners and I was going to do that, but I found eraser rings at Target instead. They also had dinosaur erasers and I just couldn't pass those up. All I needed were some tags to write something on, and I found those at Michael's. Piece of cake! I found some little jewel stickers at Michael's too, so Cakes and Bubba decided to bling their tags out a little bit.







Next year I'm just going to leave the Valentine making supplies out all month because the kids just kept going back for more. Nothing wrong with that!

We all made cards for Scott last night and the kids each hid their cards somewhere they knew he'd look this morning; one in his underwear drawer, one in his shoe and one with the juice boxes. Bubba wrote his whole name on his daddy's card and I think it is the cutest thing ever!

Cakes and Silly just pass out cards and get a little treat at the end of the day. Silly told me last night that most people had already brought theirs in and he will be bringing home *lots* of pencils today. I signed up to be in charge of Bubba's preschool party. I always pick Valentine's Day. We made peanut butter sandwiches and cut them up with our heart shaped sandwich cutter and peanut butter cookies with Dove chocolate hearts in them. I made those for the winter celebration party too, and all 4 of the toddlers ate the chocolate out of the middle then left the cookie. I think the adults at Bubba's party ate more of those cookies than the kids.


Bubba and his two best buddies

Bubba hard at work on his heart lei

The kids made leis for their craft. I cut out tons of 2" hearts (with my Cricut of course) and cut up almost a whole box a straws. The kids were all good little threaders. One of the other moms brought a Valentine Bingo game and they were pretty good at that too; only two boys decided to just cover their cards and not pay any attention to matching the pictures. Not bad for a group of preschoolers. We had plenty of fun. Bubba is putting his Valentines all over his room now just like he told me he would this morning. Cakes and Silly will be home shortly with their Valentines. And I haven't even thought about what to make for dinner tonight. There are lots of leftover cookies...



No comments:

Post a Comment