Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Family Fun

We had a fun little family weekend; Scott took Friday off (since the USS Enterprise FINALLY deployed!!!) and we picked Cakes up at school then headed for Great Wolf Lodge. We've been there a few times before and always have fun, but I have to admit, knowing they send you a survey after your visit, I can't help looking for things that need to be fixed, or other things they could do to improve. For instance, I don't need a whole table, just a place to stick my shoes so why not some shoe cubbies or something? And it's really annoying that the towels for the water park must stay at the waterpark, which means you walk back to your room and freeze. I don't want to have to pack my own towels or robes or whatever else. Lots of hotels provide robes, and goodness knows GWL is expensive enough.

Bubbs was slow to warm up to the whole water play idea (again) which means I spent the first hour or so just floating around in the wave pool with him. We finally made it over to the littlest water slides and he took at least five minutes getting down the slide the first time. Silly carefully walked him up the steps then he just stood and watched other kids slide for a minute or so. Then he stepped up to the edge of the slide and stood there for at least two minutes looking down deciding how to step down into the slide without any of the water jets touching him. Other kids just went right around him as he stood there pondering. Finally he sat down on the edge, carefully placing his feet in then slowly sat down in the water, where he waited another minute or so before very, very slowly scooting his way forward until he slide down. And loved it! After that I was there at the kiddie slides for at least an hour while he slid down over and over again without taking any time to stop and think. Silly even caught him at the bottom and helped him over to the side. Bubbs would not let me pick him up and carry him back to the wall, he had to walk and climb out himself. After at least 20 times down the easiest slide he got really brave and went down the yellow slide that was much rougher with bigger water jets. He went right down like it was no big deal and kept going over and over and over.

Then Cakes wanted to show me her skills crossing the logs. She's spent lots of time on the grown-up slides with Scott. I didn't dare try any slides this time because I didn't want to end up feeling sick. I'm perfectly happy hanging out in the wave pool or watching little boys slide.

             

Silly's favorite thing was getting splashed by the giant water bucket. He went back and forth from sliding with Bubba, to running over to the fort when the bell started ringing to let you know the bucket is about to spill. One time he sprawled out on the ground which I'm sure resulted in a nose full of water.

Scott's favorite thing to do at the water park is splash people; he even got Bubba to help him, which says a lot because Bubbs doesn't really like getting sprayed, which is inevitable when you're in the fort.

 




















We played for a few hours Friday night and another few hours Saturday morning. When we finally got really hungry we set off for Pierce's Barbecue. Bubba liked my BBQ chicken sandwich a lot, but did not like it when Scott dipped his fry in BBQ sauce. I think we all could have eaten more, but the line was long and seating was scarce. We didn't want to be table hogs so we set off to do some shopping at the outlets.

Cakes was complaining that her jeans were too tight, which they really were, so our first stop was to find her some jeans that fit. She found some really cute ones at Guess, with sparkles, and then begged for a black and gray striped shirt, also with sparkles. She's really been wanting some boots so we looked until we found some black ones, not too fuzzy, because this is my child that can't wear fleece or sweatshirts because she's instantly too hot. Scott took all the kids to the Nike store while I found myself some decent, much needed, pants at Ann Taylor.

And it seems, that where outerwear is concerned, I apparently married my dad. I am constantly telling Scott, just like my mom tells my dad all the time, that he does not need another jacket. The last thing in the world he needs is another jacket, yet everywhere we go, he looks at jackets. At least he has some variety now, for quite a few years there he just had "fuzzies" in a variety of colors. So of course, we had to look in Columbia, where we just so happened to run into my brother and his wife. That gave me a chance to tell Clark about a conversation Silly and I had last week. We were talking about turkey and somehow that got Silly thinking about hunting.

Silly - I think Scout and Sisco are hunting dogs.
Me - yes, Clark and Whitney take them hunting.
S - And I think Clark and Colton work for a grocery store
M - You mean they hunt and sell meat to stores?
S - Uh-huh.

Oh how I love hearing what goes on in that little brain!

Anyway, back to Columbia; I got a really nice coat (used to be $210) for about $40 which was sweet. Silly found a camo fleece, and he's been searching for more "army clothes" so we couldn't pass that up. And Scott found this super cute Jacket for Bubba with built in mittens. Bubba falls into the same "doesn't need any more jackets" category, but this one is for next year. Scott found himself a new polo and a really nice long sleeved shirt. He likes clothes with logos on them; he refers to them as his sponsors.

After shopping we went to Quaker Steak and Lube for dinner and it was REALLY good. Not just better than I expected for a diner-type place good, but really good. The kids cleaned their plates and were still hungry. Bubba made car noises while we ate (there are racecars hanging from the cieling). Our waiter talked us into their caramel apple quesadilla for dessert which disappeared pretty quick (and I wasn't even helping since I'm on a junk-food strike for the month). Apparently there is another one in Richmond which we just might have to check out next time we're in town.

To top it all off, yesterday we went to Gymboree to spend my MIL's Gymbucks and pay for it with the gift card her mom gave me for Christmas. We bought $100.85 worth of clothes and it cost me less than 4 bucks, including a "plain jean skirt" that Cakes has been wanting for months.

No comments:

Post a Comment