Saturday, March 5, 2011

Unexpected Pajama Day Issue

Yesterday was Pajama Day at Silly's preschool. He was pretty excited about not getting dressed in the morning and we didn't even comb his hair so it would be more authentic. :-)

I came into his classroom to help out and before they ate their snack-breakfast, the teacher did a survey with the kids. They had a choice to try hot chocolate and tea then vote for their favorite. She has several children with allergies and there was something in the hot chocolate they couldn't have so they tested fruit snacks - green v. red. I went over to Silly and quietly told him we don't drink tea. I'm pretty sure that had never come up for him before, and I never imagined it would come up in his preschool class. He started to get upset, eyes filling up with tears and said, "I didn't know it was tea." It told him it was OK, the teacher hadn't even started pouring any yet. I quietly told her we don't drink tea. She said something along the lines of "not even chamomile?" I just said "we don't drink tea" again. Silly tested the fruit snacks instead. When it was time to vote, no one voted for tea as their favorite. Whose 4yo drinks tea? I just thought that the whole thing was very odd. Silly probably would have tried it if I hadn't been there, and he may or may not have ever told me about it and either way it wouldn't have been the end of the world. But now I'm wondering, do I need to put "no coffee, tea, alcohol and tobacco" on their school forms from now on just in case a teacher decides to offer them someday? I only ever imagined those issues coming up with friends and in other people's homes, not school.

(For my non-LDS friends, we follow something called the Word of Wisdom which tells us to eat a healthy, balanced diet and avoid coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol and illegal drugs.)

Anyway, other than that little snag, PJ Day was fun. One mom sent in these cute and yummy pop-tarts on a stick made with pastry dough and strawberries. I'm gonna have to give those a try. The kids ate pancakes and fruit. It was nice to see that most of the kids really like fruit (there were grapes, strawberries and bluberries) just about all of them wanted some and lots asked for seconds.

The boys and I stayed in our PJs until 3:00 when I had to get dressed, drop them off with friends, and go look at some houses. The house huting was actually a little funny, because there were so many little things I noticed and thought, "What would Silly do with that?" Things like bedrooms with little doors to tiny attic spaces; this can't be Silly's room, he'd never stay out of that; columns - Silly would tie something to that; staircase with a landing - how soon before that wall has a hole in it from Silly racing something off the steps?; house next to a dried up lake - Silly would never stay out of that, but he'd get lots of use out of his boots. Some of these thoughts I was saying out loud and I was giving the impression that Silly is a terror. He's not a terror at all, just busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment