Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekend Fun

Scott and I looked at a few more houses Friday afternoon, then went back to the house we already have a contingency contract on; I haven't been in it since September so I needed to refresh my memory and make sure it really is perfect and not just that I make it perfect in my head. Yep, it's perfect. Scott's question is whether or not a "perfect" house is worth so much more money than a house that needs some work. As someone who has already done all that work in our current house, my answer is a definite yes. I've already repainted every room in this house, stripped more wallpaper than I care to think about and remodeled two bathrooms. Why would I want to move to a house that would require me to do all those things again?

After that fun, we got Cakes off the bus (after witnessing the bus driver give her a little talk), loaded everybody up with their pillow pets and blankets and set off for Gummy's house. They slept most of the drive, as usual. When they did wake up Bubba was trying to sing Justin Bieber; I tried to get it on video, but as usual he stops whatever he's doing when he sees a camera. I don't know that I even have that boys voice recorded at all. Something to work on I guess.

And we got another hilarious saying out of Silly. He was once again hot, and told us exactly how hot he was. "I'm hot! I'm really hot! It's hot in this car! I'm so hot I feel like my skin's gonna fall off!"

Bubba has this new thing when he gets excited. He puts his arms straight up and yells, "Aaaaaaahhhh!" and dances around like a little elf. So as soon as we turned into the driveway he put his little arms up, said Grandma lots of times and then ran around the house for at least five minutes alternating between yelling grandma, Charlie, and just plain old yelling. One more thing I need to document.

Saturday morning we hung out with Mamie for a little while. Cakes and Silly were digging around in the back yard, when Papop came home with some raised flowerbed kits to assemble, so Cakes and Silly went to work helping. I don't know how helpful they were because I went across the street with Bubba to take my SIL some baby things I'd dug out of the attic to loan to her. We talked baby stuff for a while and she showed me her nursery all set up, ready and waiting.

Then I did the kid round-up and met Scott and his parents for lunch. They love Arby's and really wanted us to eat lunch there. I don't like Arby's and haven't been to one in probably 20 years, but everyone else really, really likes it. It was nice, and I did have a very yummy sweet potato and a good zucchini muffin.

I made all three kids take naps since I knew they'd be out past bedtime when we went to my ward reunion. I didn't plan clothing for the weekend very well. I really should have packed three outfits for everyone, knowing there was no chance my kids would stay clean for a whole day, but I didn't. Everyone changed at least one article of clothing and got ready to party.

It was sooo fun to see some old friends, lots of whom I probably saw last at my wedding reception or even before I left for college. I took one lame picture, and wish I'd taken more, but you can't take pictures when you're talking you head off.

You can see my dad standing in the background. He and my mom and sisters were Scottish Country dancing earlier, so he's still in his Scottish attire (not Austrian for those of you who know him). And way in the background, off to the left of my dad, in the red jacket is Kathleen Knight, who told me I'm adorable, cute, and still look like a teenager (thanks!) and off to the right of my dad in the dark suit is Glade. He did manage to refrain from calling me Kiddo and tousling my hair. I was especially glad to see Charlie and Grace Tony, former Sunday School teachers who put up with a bunch of smart-Alec teenagers. It was funny to talk about our 7yo daughters. Who'da thought?

Scott knew he'd be watching our kids while I was chatting with people, and he did a good job keeping track of them and making sure they ate something other than cupcakes and candy. And he even talked to my ex-boyfriend (they knew each other in high school).

Sunday we went to church at the Clover Hill ward, where my dad was the first bishop. I remember helping him organize all the new manuals and such in the closet outside his office in the brand new building. It was an extra long sacrament meeting (almost two hours!) and Dad was just about last. My kids were pretty good. Cakes was freezing, Bubba slept on me the entire time, Silly and Cakes took turns snuggling Scott to stay warm. The whole time my sisters and I are waiting and waiting for Dad to speak and wondering what the update is on my SIL who was in labor. Dad went to the hospital as soon as he was able to get out the door.

We went back to my in-laws' for lunch. The kids were eating green shamrock cookies when my MIL looked at Silly all worried and asked him if he'd eaten more than one green cookie. He said he had 2, and she told him he was turning green all the way down to his neck. He started to squirm a bit, trying to hide his neck with his collar, thought about it for a minute, then popped another cookie in his mouth and cracked up. A few minutes later we were all talking again and he snuck off to the bathroom to look at himself. He came back a minute later, looking a little relieved, saying, "It's just white." You could tell he didn't really believe he'd turned green, but he wanted to make sure.

I debated what to do as far as heading back home or waiting for my new niece to arrive. We eventually set off for home. Things were moving pretty slow with the baby, and Silly and Cakes had to get to school in the morning.

My new niece arrived last night, via c-section (her poor mom, after 24-hours in labor!) but she's healthy and super cute and has her daddy's nose. I can't believe my little brother is a dad!



That's enough for one weekend, right? Now I have to find a way/time/reason to go back soon to see the baby and to clean the house for them. My sister did that for me after my first baby, it was awesome, and ever since then I've felt obligated to return the favor to someone.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, it is an Austrian outfit.

    Who cleaned house for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But his shirt had little dragons or something on it.

    Annie did, when she was pregnant with A.

    ReplyDelete