Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lazy Summer

We have pretty much thrown schedules and routines out the window this summer. We don't have any trips planned. I didn't sign anybody up for any summer camps. Swim lessons is about as exciting as it's going to get around here and those finished up yesterday. It's possible that we finally convinced Cakes to try out for the swim team. I contacted the coach to find out what the requirements are - one length of freestyle and one length of backstroke. No sweat for her!

But this morning we had some actual fun and hit the beach! Bubba went from crying through half of his swim lessons to letting me or Scott just carry him right out into the ocean and bounce along with the waves. Goofy kid. The ocean is fine, but his cute swim teacher is terrifying?



Silly is the king of wipe outs. He never quite got the timing right for jumping over the waves. He would jump too early, which meant his feet were off the ground already when the wave crested so he just got swept away every single time. When I made him take a water break he told me, "But I already drank lots of water," meaning from the ocean. Not exactly what I had in mind. Then when we were getting ready to go, as he was rinsing off at the outdoor shower he starts yelling, "My body hurts!" At first I thought he was getting a cramp somewhere, but then he pulled up his swim shirt and showed me he was all scratched up from the sand.



Cakes was her usual having fun, making friends self. She had two little followers by the time we left. Give that girl a few minutes with a kid anywhere near her age and she'll have a new friend. We don't know where she gets that from, because it sure wasn't from either one of us, at least not something we were capable of as kids. She barely left the water the whole time we were there, pretty much once for a snack and water break, and once for more sunscreen.


Bubba had one good wipe out too. We went down to the water to rinse off and while I was looking down at the water a wave crashed, knocking him down and taking him under. I screamed, even though I know it is pretty much only people who swim where they shouldn't swim who drown at the ocean, not kids who wipe out on the shore. Still not pleasant to see your three year old disappear under the water for any amount of time!



And no trip to the beach with Scott would be complete without him digging a hole to make a little pool.
 
 

He even enjoyed it himself for a little while. I was cracking up laughing at him when he got out of his little seat because the mesh lining of his swim-short legs had filled with sand while he sat there. I don't know how he managed to walk in them and keep them on, they were so heavy. Nothing that couldn't be fixed by getting back in the water though. He cracked me up when we got home too. I told everyone to eat a banana before we left this morning; he took his to the beach for some odd reason, ate it, then stuck the peal in my bag (which is now in the washing machine). When we got home, I went to open the trunk and there was his banana peel on our bumper, where it sat the whole way home. I thought it had just fallen out when he put the bag in the trunk, but apparently he put it there hoping it might blow off on the way home. Goofball.

No comments:

Post a Comment