Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Maybe TMI...

If you don't care for talk of potty training or nosebleeds, just look at the picture and skip all the words. :-)

It is official - Bubba is potty trained! We talked about summer goals as a family a few weeks ago, and wearing underwear was one of his goals. I put him in underwear almost three weeks ago, set the timer on my watch to beep every twenty minutes and sat him on his little potty seat. I couldn't use that method with Cakes. If I ever used the "just try" routine with her she had a major meltdown. Bubba is very laid back though; I knew he would just go with it. I also knew he would happily stay in diapers forever if I wasn't a little more proactive.

His incentive was his very own scooter; inspired by him having a meltdown one afternoon over Silly riding his own scooter when Bubba wanted a turn. I told him that as soon as he wears underwear all the time and goes on the potty, he can get his own scooter and not have to share Silly's anymore. He requested green, which meant we had to order it, so it sat in my closet for about three weeks. He took to peeing on his little training potty right away, but it wasn't until today that he finally pooped on his potty. I was really talking up the scooter all weekend. I even took him in my closet a few times and showed him the box, telling him his scooter was tired of being in there and really wanted to come out and play with him. Seems to have done the trick. Just before we left to take him to the doctor this afternoon he pooped in his potty. Silly and I made a huge deal out of it and immediately got his scooter out and he took it for a little ride. Woohoo!


We were going to the doctor because he started having nosebleeds after we moved. He had one about a month ago, one last week and three over the weekend, one of which was of the wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-to-find-you're-bleeding type. (Am I the only one familiar with that experience?) The others were all pretty minor but that one took a good long time to stop bleeding. I was sitting there on his floor, holding him in my lap, pinching his nose as he's bleeding but really wanting to be sleeping, remembering the times I woke up with a bloody nose as a kid, waking my mom up, rinsing my pillowcase in cold water in the sink. I remember my mom bought me a new pillow once, and I'm pretty sure I had a nosebleed the very first night I slept on it. Mom and I both had bloody noses as kids. Dad says we had a weak blood vessel. Anyway, I took Bubba to the doctor just to rule anything out. She said his nose was a little bit inflamed, so maybe give him some Zyrtek every day for a week and see if that doesn't help, but there wasn't anything to worry about unless he has one that lasts more than 30 minutes, has more than one in 24-hours or has other indicators of a bleeding problem like bruising or a rash. I put a little towel by his pillow and when I was putting him to bed last night he said, "This is for my blood." Yep. One more trait that makes him more my kid than Scott's (yes - I keep track because Cakes is just the girl version of Scott and Silly is the blonde, dimpled version).

No comments:

Post a Comment