Sunday, May 1, 2011

Animal Shenanigans

Silly's preschool went to the zoo Wednesday morning. We were afraid of getting rained out, but it turned out to be a great day.

This is the cage for the wild homo sapiens. Silly is hanging out with his three buddies.
Silly wishing he had some camo on
I've been to the Norfolk Zoo many times and I think it is a great zoo. You can always see the animals and most of the time most of the animals are doing more than just standing or laying down in one spot. We got quite a show watching the lions though. The lioness was hanging out in the doorway of the lion "cave" when all of a sudden she takes off after this goose that was walking around in the grass on the lion enclosure. She was thisclose to catching that thing too.
 



The goose took off into the water and then swam around just out of reach, honking at the lioness. It was awesome.

Then we're looking at the new tigers who were laying in the grass minding their own business, when one of them gets up, starts walking around, then charges at this little girl looking at them through the big window. Guess they haven't figured that whole glass thing out yet.



Then Wednesday night my mom came up with Riza, who's been staying with her for the last few months while she was in the US for heart surgery. She wanted to see the Atlantic ocean before heading back to the Philippines. We went to the beach for maybe 10 minutes, but it was super windy. Mom tried to fly some kites, but the wind was just too wild. Bubba sat in my lap whimpering under Cakes's jacket the whole time. Silly managed to get soaking wet in the ocean. I didn't imagine he's do more than stick in his toes since I'm sure it was freezing, but I suppose I should know better by now. Cakes played with wet sand, since it doesn't blow into your eyes.

When we got back to the car I stood Silly in the trunk and took his wet clothes off. At least I'd packed jackets so he had something else to wear on top, but he was stuck in wet bottoms for the rest of the day. He was worried about people seeing him when I carried him from the trunk to his seat, but I told him he was fine because he had on camouflage underwear. He went with it.

We went to the Aquarium so we could get our money's worth out of our membership that expires May 4th. The coolest part was the huge tropical fish tank, of course. Mom wondered why they didn't have any real coral or anemones and such. We found out in another part of the aquarium that they have a coral nursery where they've got all kids of things growing to add to the giant tank some day. Good to know.

 

I had a gecko and a skink scare me. I was staring into the gecko's terrarium with several other grown ups, searching and searching for the gecko, when he suddenly moved right in front of my face. We were all looking for green; he was kinda purplish. Then I looked at a skink, looked away at something else, then back at the skink and he had his mouth wide open, hissing at me. I don't know what it was with me and animals this week.

No aquarium trip is complete without a visit to the sharks and rays.

That very blurry head is Bubba's; they have this little submarine for shark watching and it has lots of little switches and lights.

 



Cakes actually touched a few rays. Bubba just did laps around the tank, up onto the platform and back down again.

I failed to mention that I let Cake and Silly play hookie in order to hang out with Mamie. Silly just had Joy School, and I don't think he's missed a day before. I sent Cakes to school but then picked her up at 9:30 just for fun.

Words not in spellcheck - sapiens, skink, and hookie. Hm.

No comments:

Post a Comment