Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Charlottesville and Strawberries

I finally dragged myself, with the kids, out to Charlottesville to visit my sister. She's been living there for almost 2 years, I think. It's not that I haven't seen her in all that time; we see each other in Richmond fairly often. The drive wasn't as long as I expected, just a little more than 2 1/2 hours. Not bad.

Cakes slept the most on the drive there, Silly slept about an hour and Bubba didn't sleep at all. He was playing with his baby, nekky-mole, and pillow. He talks to his baby, which mostly consists of saying "ha-wo beebee" and he was sticking his feet inside his pillow case saying "wook at toosies." He's pretty interested in toes.

We packed up after church Sunday and rolled out to Maddie and Steve's house. The kids were terrified of their dog Zoe at first. Cakes got over it. Silly got over it for a little while, but then he was scared again. Bubba screamed his head off for the first few minutes and didn't want to the dog anywhere near him, but by the end he would smile at the dog as long as she wasn't too close. Zoe was very well behaved, but my kids are only used to their small, old, lazy dog.

Steve made us dinner, my kids ate about as much as they usually eat, which isn't much. Maddie had cots for Cakes and Silly to sleep on. I don't think they were actually asleep before 9. Bubba went to sleep just fine, but woke up around midnight and didn't want to be in the crib anymore. I put him in bed with me, where thankfully he stayed in his own space and didn't pester me all night (which is what he would have done in my bed at home).

Steve made us breakfast in the morning too. I did warn him and Maddie that my children do not know what "quiet voices" are, nor do they understand the concept of "too early in the morning to be so loud". (Hm, maybe that's something we need to practice before we go stay at the beach with my family and drive everyone insane with their 6am wake up call.) At some point Cakes asked me and Steve if she could watch TV and he found her a cake show to watch. Later on I came into the kitchen, passing my three kids sitting quietly on the couch and said to Steve, "Now you know why parents sit their kids in front of the TV." He also learned why toys with batteries are super annoying.

Once we were all ready, the kids and I plus Maddie went strawberry picking. We passed 4 huge peacocks on the way to the berry patch. Two of them were just walking down the middle of the road oblivious to the cars behind them. I wish I'd had my camera out.

The kids got right to work hunting for good strawberries. They did a pretty sweet job too. Silly insisted that I fill the box from one side to the other and not just randomly toss the strawberries in any empty spot or on top of each other.

Just getting started


Cakes helping Bubba

 


Me and Silly picking


















I just now noticed that each "team" ended up with one red shirt and one blue shirt. I guess we were picking strawberries for about an hour. Maddie said strawberry picking is a lot more fun (and work) than cherry picking, which she and Steve had just done Saturday. We ended up with 10 lbs of strawberries. Don't worry, they will all be eaten. Lots of them have been eaten already, starting with eating them in the car on the way back to Maddie's house.



Bubba ended up with shorts completely covered in strawberry juice, Silly ended up with it all over his shirt. Having it all over their hands and faces was a given.

We had a nice little family cookout, which of course included strawberries among all the other super yummy things. We hit the road again around 3:00. All three of my kids were asleep before we got back to 250, which is only 7 miles from my sister's house. Silly woke up long enough to ask for the water bottle, take a drink, then pass out again. He actually woke up maybe three times to take a drink, but never said anything and went right back to sleep each time. I kept myself occupied singing along to some favorite CDs and didn't hear peep out of the kids until we were in Newport News. Awesome.

Maddie told me later that she'd found a squished strawberry in the bedroom, but didn't realize she was the one who had squished it so she tracked strawberry juice all through her house. Sorry Maddie! I'm really glad my brother has a baby now and can't wait for Maddie to have some too because being the only one around with little kids makes me feel like such a nuisance.

No comments:

Post a Comment